[INDOLOGY] Help with Pāṇini 1.4.56

Buchta, David david_buchta at brown.edu
Thu May 23 11:57:19 UTC 2024

Hi McComas,

I'll let others chime in on how common this is, but I can mention that a
vārttika cited in the Mahābhāṣya (rīśvarādvīśvarānmā bhūt) to this sūtra
indicates that the purpose of including the 'r' is to disambiguate 1.4.97
from 3.4.13 (īśvare tosunkasunau). The sūtra just before (3.4.12) is śaki
ṇamulkamulau, so the 'v' in vīśvarāt would be from a sandhi change to the
final 'au' of the preceding sūtra if they were recited in sequence.

Curiously, Katre presents this sūtra without the 'r,' raising the question
of whether he based this on a variant reading, his own emendation, or if it
is just a typo.

Best,
Dave
--