[INDOLOGY] Devanagari v and b in manuscripts from Kashmir

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sat Mar 25 04:26:51 UTC 2023

Hello Harry,

     Many cases like *patra/pattra *are instances of optional doubling of
consonants in certain environments. To the extent, this doubling is
optional, a dictionary may need to make a choice of which alternative to
list.  The prevalence of doubling or lack of it is also sometimes related
to the regional or other preferences. For example, more doubling is common
in the tradition of the Śukla-Yajurveda, so much so that the Nirnaya Sagara
Press needed special fonts to print the pothi of Śukla-Yajurveda.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]