[INDOLOGY] Prādyuṇaka/-ika

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu May 19 15:31:05 UTC 2022

Hello Martin,

     I wonder if the reading prādyuṇika is actually a misreading for
prāghuṇika/prāghuṇaka which refers to a visitor or guest, and has Prakrit
cognate in pāhuṇia, and pāhuṇā in Marathi. The characters द्य and घ can
often be misread in manuscripts. Best,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]