[INDOLOGY] Prādyuṇaka/-ika

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Thu May 19 17:47:54 UTC 2022

Oh dear, you're absolutely right, Madhav -- but with regard to the
Halāyudhakośa (which I saw in a poor-quality PDF of a printed edition
and obviously misread) rather than to the manuscripts in question. I
have two for this particular verse; here is the one with the more
legible handwriting:

This matches the way the scribe writes द्य in other places as well.
Thanks for setting me straight, although that means I'm back to square
one: the text almost certainly does mean to say prādyuṇika (or -aka),
but what does it mean? 'Guest' doesn't really fit anyway; from the
context as well as the Arabic original, it should relate to something
everyday or frequently recurring, to contrast with 'special occasions'
like weddings (and, in the Arabic, circumcisions).

Best wishes,
Martin