[INDOLOGY] Re: Professor-researcher recruitment campaign EPHE

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:20:20 UTC 2021

Dear Dominik, Dear Jonathan, Dear Jean-Michel,
Did anyone download the relevant document and read the requirements?
Even I had missed one passage, because I now see that here
<https://www.ephe.psl.eu/actualites/recrutement_des_enseignants-chercheurs_2021/2021-recrutement-ec-shp.pdf>
it says clearly:
"Rédaction : Le français et l’anglais sont acceptés pour tous vos documents"
So: nihil obstat for those who want to apply in English.
My remark reflected no legal condition but a personal estimation which is
perhaps no more valid.
Even apart from any intention to apply or not to apply for the positions
now posted, knowledge of French (and German) should be considered highly
recommendable for anyone studying and teaching in the domain of Indology --
including in officially bi- and multi-lingual Canada :) -- in view of the
extensive scientific literature on Sanskrit, Vedic studies etc. available
in these languages.
In our EPHE-SHP we do have several international colleagues, including from
Belgium.
Even then I experience that France participates more strongly in a "romance
languages" intellectual circuit with students and colleagues from Italy,
Spain, South America etc. whereas what I remember from my active
participation in academic life in the Netherlands is that it has become
more and more strongly Anglo-Saxon oriented, esp. since the late 1990s. But
Willem Caland, Utrecht, still published extensively in German and
co-produced a major publication in French together with his
French colleague Victor Henry ( L'Agnistoma, tome I-II, 1906-1907). On the
other hand, Louis Renou learned sufficient Dutch in order to read Willem
Caland's scientific publications in Dutch (Suutra-aanwinsten, Over en uit
het Jaiminiiya, etc.).
If we come to Vedic studies, the full or partial translations by Ludwig,
Bergaigne, Caland, Renou, Elizarenkova now Jamison & Brereton ... are to be
read in their original languages.
>From whatever I have understood of another major language of the world,
Chinese, I estimate that it will be entirely impossible to capture the
nuances of different interpretations expressed in these translations into
German, French, Russian, English, without enormous footnotes at each
subjunctive, injunctive, imperative, at each explicit or elliptic use of a
form of 'to be' ...  Perhaps a translation into Chinese can at the most
aspire to be a close paraphrase... By contrast, this shows the importance
of having different interpretations of Vedic ritual poetry and Vedic
literature into German, French, Russian and English... (and of course into
Polish...).
All best,
Jan

*johannes.houben [at] ephe.psl.eu <johannes.houben at ephe.psl.eu>*