[INDOLOGY] Re: Professor-researcher recruitment campaign EPHE

jmdelire jmdelire at ulb.ac.be
Fri Feb 19 09:43:25 UTC 2021

Another example, which perhaps is not to be generalized : a year ago, I
was informed that a position as Professor of History of mathematics
would be opened at the University of Wuppertal (Germany). I went into
contact by email with two professors there, and all our exchanges were
in English. I was told that my CV was perfect for the position, which
implies the training of future math teachers. But, when I asked if I
could teach in English for a year or two (before becoming able to do it
in German, a language of which I have a passive knowledge), it was
answered that this would not be possible. I applied nonetheless, but
received no invitation to an interview, probably due to the pandemy.

Jean Michel