[INDOLOGY] Thakkana again

Péter-Dániel Szántó szantopeterdaniel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 06:30:46 UTC 2019

Dear friends,

Perhaps I'm missing something, but prof. Slaje's argument would work only
with the assumption that the verse/text was mediated through Śāradā only
and no other script until the printed form. I am completely unfamiliar with
the manuscript history of this text. Moreover, I am looking at an 11th c.
Śāradā ms. right now (do we have anything slightly earlier?): while ccha
and stha are clearly different, they are not _that_ different and I can see
how in a hurried hand they could've been confused.

As for sgrib byed/med, a Tibetan could have thought that such an
inauspicious word is not apposite for a maṅgala/pratijñā verse, but perhaps
it is nothing more than a psychological slip: while sgrib byed and sgrib
med occur more or less at the same rate (quick grep through the Bstan 'gyur
yields 68 vs 67), a search for sgrib pa med pa vs sgrib pa byed pa yields
919 to 1.

Best wishes,
Peter