[INDOLOGY] Thakkana again

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 16 08:09:10 UTC 2019

Dear all,

It is not plausible that the Tibetan translator arbitrarily contradicted the reading  zakuna, if that was indeed the reading of the text that was used, UNLESS it was well know to have been, or at minimum the pandit with whom he was working explained this to have been, an epithet of Thakkana - in that case, it would have been considered a legitimate substitution.

Once again, we know that the Tibetan translator was familiar with Thagana as a possibility, because he uses this in the final verses. I was, like some of you, surprised to see a humilific name for a king, for which reason I leaned toward the Thakka-na/sgrib med explanation, but I do think now that sgrib byed is preferable. (By the way, Peter, this would transpose to sgrib par byed pa, not sgrib pa byed pa, which may change the 900-to-1 calculation.)

In the case of the mahAsiddha Thagana, as in many mahAsiddha names, the humilific
is of course what is to be expected - and indeed his hagiography seeks to explain it. (Because he was a compulsive liar, he finally attained liberation by realizing the falseness of appearances - I will abstain here from commenting on current politics with this in mind....) In any case, the siddha Thagana is said to have been a low-caste Bengali.

Probably I will have nothing more to add to this thread, but maybe I'm lying....

Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago