[INDOLOGY] sha and kha

Will Tuladhar Douglas will at tending.to
Sat Sep 15 02:34:57 UTC 2018

Dear Dominik and all,

That's a useful distinction, with the added provision that the reason may change back and forth over time. I would have to go dig quite a bit to prove this, but my impression is (and others on this list are better placed to comment) that (some) early Newar Buddhist manuscripts but also those edited or composed recently by scrupulous Newar Buddhist scholars keep the distinction, even where pronunciation contemporary with the manuscript shows a clear shift. Certainly some modern Newar Vajrācāryas are aware that the Tibetan pronunciation of various mantras, as broadcast on loudspeakers in public spaces, is ‘wrong’, and the mispronunciation includes ṣ/kh shift terms like bhaiṣajya or ṣaḍakṣarī . This will be true even where, at other moments, pronunciation in their speech community shows elements of this same shift.

Hope that's a help.

Be well,

—WBTD.