[INDOLOGY] sha and kha

Seishi Karashima skarashima at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 00:44:20 UTC 2018

Dear Dominik and colleagues,

(1) Concerning kh / ṣ:

Ulrich  Schneider wrote that the alternation of *kh / *ṣ is due to their
phonetical resemblance in the following article (see attachment; 1954: 580,
n. 22 = 2002: 23, n. 22).

Ulrich Schneider,

1954    “Acht Etymologien aus dem Aggañña-Sutta”, in: *Asiatica:
Festschrift Friedrich Weller*, Leipzig, pp. 575~583  =  2002: 18~26.

2002    *Opera minora*, hrsg. Marion Meisig, Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz
(Beiträge zur Indologie 39).

I asked my teacher, Mr. K. R. Norman, for his opinion on this matter more
than thirty years ago in Cambridge. According to my memo, he said that the
two *akṣara*s, *kh(a)* and *ṣ(a)*, resemble in some Brāhmī scripts.

However, I do not think this confusion is due to writing –– I cannot find
such a script –––, but purely due to phonetical resemblance. *Puruṣa* is
pronounced like *purukha*, while *sukha* is pronounced like *suṣa*. I
assume that both *kh* and *ṣ* were (are?) pronounced as voiceless velar
fricative (x) at least in North (West) India at certain times.

(2) Concerning *jñ /j*

Writing and pronunciation often differ. I wrote about lots of instances of
confusion of *jñāna* / *yāna* in the Lotus Sutra and other early Mahāyāna
scriptures, and assumed that *mahāyāna* originally meant *mahājñāna* (this
word occurs in the older manuscripts of the Lotus Sutra), i.e.
*buddha-jñāna*. Both *jñāna* and *yāna *become as *jāna *or* jāṇa* in
certain Middle Indic as well as modern languages. I wrote elsewhere as
follows (“Vehicle (*yāna*) and Wisdom (*jñāna*) in the Lotus Sutra ––– the
Origin of the Notion of *yāna* in Mahāyāna Buddhism”, in: *Annual Report of
The International Research Institute for Advanced Buddhology at Soka
University*, vol. 18 (2015): 170f.)

OIA. *yāna* (= Pā; Gāndhārī *yaṇa*) becomes *jāṇa* in Prakrit (Pkt.), while
OIA. *jñāna* (> Pā. *ñāṇa*, Gāndhārī *ñaṇa*) develops into *ṇāṇa*, *nāṇa *or
*jāṇa*.(Cf. Pischel: § 276.) Though Turner (CDIAL 5281 *jñāna-*) assumes
that the development *jñāna* > Pkt. *jāṇa* took place under the influence
of the verb *jānāti*, I assume the development *jñ-* > Pkt. *j(j)* might
have occurred by itself (note 1). There are traces of OIA. *jñāna* > Pkt.
**jāna*/*jāṇa*, found in medieval and modern dialects, such as: Old Marathi
*jāṇa* (see DOM, s.v.), Sindhī *jāṇu*, Panjābī *jāṇ*, Gujarātī *jāṇ*,
Kashmiri *zān*, Newāli, Bengali, Hindī *jān* etc. (Turner, loc. cit.). To
sum up, both *yāna* and *jñāna* became **jāna/jāṇa* in Prakrit (note 2).

     1 Cf. *ājñā* > Pkt. *ajja*, *prajñā* > Pkt. *pajjā abhijñā* > *ahijja*;
*vijña* > *vijja* ; *sarvajña* > *savvajja*; *sujñāna* > *sujjāṇa *(cf.
Pischel § 276); *jñānin* > *jāṇi*; *saṃjñā* > *saṃjā*. Cf. also
*Siddhahemacandram
Adhyāna *VIII*, *II 83. *|| jño ñaḥ || 83 || jñaḥ saṃbandhino ñasya lug vā
bhavati | jāṇaṃ | ṇāṇaṃ | savvajjo | savvaṇṇū | appajjo | appaṇṇū |
daivajjo | daivaṇṇū | iṃgiajjo | iṃgiaṇṇū | maṇojjaṃ | maṇoṇṇaṃ | ahijjo |
ahiṇṇū | pajjā | paṇṇā | ajjā | āṇā | saṃjā | saṇṇā || kvacin na bhavati |
viṇṇāṇaṃ |* (Pischel 1877: 53); BHSD, *a-jānaka*, *jānaka.* In the Jain
text *Mahānisīha*, whose language is essentially Jaina Māhārāṣṭrī though
blended with Ardhamāgadhī, we find a part, where *nāṇa* and *jāṇa*, both
Pkt forms of Skt. *jñāna*, occur repeatedly side by side (Deleu / Schubring
1963: 51; translation 120f.).

       2 In the Jaina text *Sūyagaḍa*, § 1.1.1.18, there is a word *jāṇayā*,
which is said to mean “Buddhists” (cf. MW, s.v. 2 *jānaka* “pl. the
Buddhists”). Some relate this form to *yāna*, while others to *jñānaka*.
Cf. Bollée 1977: 75.

Also, some Chinese transliterations indicate that* jñāna* was pronounced
*jāna*, T. 28, no. 1546, 33a. 何者闍那(EH. dźja na > QYS. źja nâ-; <
*jñāna*)秦言智(wisdom)。毘闍那(EH.
bi dźja na > QYS. bi- źja nâ-; < *vijñāna*)秦言識(consciousness). Cf. also a
famous translator’s name, 闍那崛多 Jnānagupta. The Chinese character 闍(EH. dźja
> QYS. źja) was used otherwise to render Indic *jā, jhā*, e.g. 闍毘(*jhāpita*),
闍提 (*jāti*).

Sorry for this long e-mail.

Seishi Karashima