[INDOLOGY] Ganganatha Jha’s “Second Edition—Thoroughly Revised” of The Yoga-Darshana

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 20:39:06 UTC 2018

 To honor the intention of one of the greatest translators of darśana texts
in modern times, Gangānātha Jhā, in a world where digital books have now
come to be expected, I make the following inquiry. I am wondering if the
“Second Edition—Thoroughly Revised” of Gangānātha Jhā’s translation, *The
Yoga-Darshana, Comprising the Sūtras of Patañjali—with the Bhāṣya of Vyāsa*,
published in 1934, is available digitally. The 1907 first edition is widely
available, both digitally and in various reprints, but this does a
disservice to Gangānātha Jhā. He regarded the first edition, translated by
him in 1895, as the work of a mere neophyte, while his second thoroughly
revised edition is the fruit if his mature scholarship.

He wrote in his 1907 Preface: “The translation now placed before the public
was prepared so long ago as 1895; and the vicissitudes through which the
manuscript has passed has made it absolutely impossible for it to undergo
any revision. So what is presented here is the work of a mere neophyte in
the mysteries of Sanskrit Philosophical translation; and the translator
would therefore, at the very outset, offer his apologies to the reader, for
his providing for him what he himself considers a rather poor fare.”

He wrote in his 1934 Preface: “This revised and entirely re-written
translation is presented before the world of scholars, in liquidation of
the fourth, and I hope, the last debt due from me. This is the last of my
works which I myself regarded as imperfect; and it was therefore due to the
scholarly world that it should be revised. . . . In this revised edition, I
have made the work as good as it lay in my power to make it.”

I have already provided the second edition to Asian Humanities Press/Jain
Publishing Company for a photographic reprint in 2002, still available, but
am making this query for the sake of those who require digital books.

Best regards,

David Reigle

Colorado, U.S.A.