[INDOLOGY] Garuda's resolution

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:01:44 UTC 2018

Dear Artur,

Your query has given me an excuse to take out time to compare the new
translation of the critical edition of the Mahābhārata by Bibek Debroy,
something I had been wanting to do.

Bibek Debroy translates this sentence as:
I will not give the soma to anyone to drink.

The first ever translation, by Kisari Mohan Ganguli, has (chapter 34):
I shall not give the Soma to any one for drink.

The next translation, by M. N. Dutt, has (chapter 34):
I shall not give the Soma to any body to drink.

The translation of this part of the critical edition by J. A. B. van
Buitenen has:
I shall not give it to anyone to partake of.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.