[INDOLOGY] Garuda's resolution

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Tue Sep 11 19:14:34 UTC 2018

Dear List Memebers,

First of all: my thanks to all who gave me their time and answered my query
- preventing me from commiting a grave error. To Roland Steiner, Hans
Henrich Hock, David and Nancy Reigle, Tracy Coleman.

Now, my second question ---

In Mbh I, 30.7c-e Indra says (to Garuda):

01.030.007c na kāryaṃ tava somena mama somaḥ pradīyatām
01.030.007e asmāṃs te hi prabādheyur yebhyo dadyād bhavān imam

VanBuitenen 1973: 90: "If you have no need for the soma, return the soma to
me. For those to whom you may give it will forever best us".

[ad 'best':  Monier-Williams has several other - sort of 'sharper' -
meanings for pra-bādh: to repel, drive away, keep off (Mbh); to torment,
vex, hurt, injure, annoy.

By the way - Kalyanov (I value his pioneering translation immensely) 1950:
103: "Yesli ty ne nameren vospol'zovat'sya somoy, to day yeyo mne. Ibo te,
kotorym sobirayesh'sya dat' yeyo, budut vredit' nam". 'Budut vredit' nam' -
'shall injure us'; no 'forever'.]

*Whom the myth makers may have in mind when they speak about those who
"will forever best us"? *

I'd be grateful if the comments were directed to the List, not to my
private e-mail address.

Thanks,

Artur Karp (M.A.)
Senior Lecturer in Sanskrit and Pali (ret.)
South Asian Studies Department
University of Warsaw