[INDOLOGY] INDOLOGY Digest, Vol 69, Issue 18

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 04:29:01 UTC 2018

Dear Dr Fournet,

You have every right to feel fed up with the tendencies you list.  You have
the right to be offended.  But you do not have the right to express your
feelings of annoyance in impolite terms in the INDOLOGY forum.  Nobody
does. At the time of joining this forum we each of us agreed that we had
read the terms of membership, and that includes the practice of standard
Netiquette.

Netiquette is not mere good manners.  It has evolved out of an intense
engagement with email discussion lists as a set of behaviours that maximize
useful conversation.  It is efficient, utilitarian.

I share your feelings about much of the discourse you refer to.  But I
promise you that insulting people with unpleasant language in front of 700
colleagues is not the best strategy for promoting the  scholarly methods
and discoveries that you value.

You are free to send your non-rose-petals to the people you describe.  But
please do it off-list.

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk
INDOLOGY managing committee.