[INDOLOGY] Der im Traum pferdlos geritten ist (Re: Brackets in modern sanskrit translations

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:54:41 UTC 2018

there is another issue with the Kielhorn quotation, I would say, namely
that most (or at least much) of the inserted material is not necessary at
all!

"All of this is inadmissible" is EXACTLY the same thing as "All of this is,
however, inadmissible", with or without parentheses.
Every individual word? Is that somehow different from every word?
So I'm not entirely sure in this case also why Dominik picked this example,
although knowing him I would not be surprised if he had this very point in
mind as well... (and yes, I did not notice the incoherent sentences later
in the paragraph...)

Jonathan

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 10:39 PM, Jean-Luc Chevillard via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Adheesh,
>
> reading Dominik's "RED BUTTON" thoughts ;-) , the Kielhorn quotation which
> he provides, and your comment, made me realize two things:
>
> (1)
> I am glad Kielhorn wrote the way he wrote :-)
> https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PCYb5KMkh5E/VxqoZQErkLI/AAAAAAAAf
> uU/pTICt1pelO4LyLWHUSJTefYYk5f3wXJXACLcB/s1600/kielhorn.jpg
> I find it beautiful (and mentally stimulating)
>
> (2)
> Many native speakers of English do not realize how it is for others,
> whose feelings have been eloquently expressed by the mathematician Hermann
> Weyl in the preface to one of his books
>
> https://books.google.de/books?id=2twDDAAAQBAJ
>
> <BEGIN QUOTE>
> "The gods have imposed upon my writing the yoke of a foreign tongue that
> was not sung at my cradle."
> <END QUOTE>
>
> [and switched to German, saying:]
> <BEGIN QUOTE>
> "Was dies heissen will weiss jeder
> Der im Traum pferdlos geritten ist"
> <END QUOTE>
>
> (see attached image, if it goes through)
>
> I had found (LONG AGO) a web page (no longer active)
>
> http://www.mis.mpg.de/zeidler/preface-qft1.pdf
>
> where these two German lines were translated as:
>
> "Everyone who has dreamt of riding free, without the need of a horse, will
> know what I mean".
>

> Best wishes
>
> -- Jean-Luc (in Hamburg)
>

> https://univ-paris-diderot.academia.edu/JeanLucChevillard
>
> https://twitter.com/JLC1956
>

> On 04/06/2018 16:44, adheesh sathaye via INDOLOGY wrote:
>
>> Thank you, Dominik, for point us to a really thoughtful piece, coming at
>> a timely moment for me personaly, as I embark upon a couple of translation
>> projects. I especially appreciate this sentence, which I also firmly
>> believe:
>>
>> " To present an incoherent English text is a tacit assertion that the
>> Sanskrit is incoherent.”
>>

>> With gratitude,
>> Adheesh

>> University of British Columbia
>>

>> On Jun 3, 2018, at 19.23, Dominik Wujastyk via INDOLOGY <
>>> indology at list.indology.info <mailto:indology at list.indology.info>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Your question presses a big red button for me :-)  My thoughts are here <
>>> https://cikitsa.blogspot.com/2016/04/on-use-of-parentheses-
>>> in-translation.html>.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk
>>> >
>>> ​,​
>>>
>>> Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
>>> ​,​
>>>
>>> Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ual
>>> berta.ca/>
>>> ​,​
>>> University of Alberta, Canada
>>> ​.​
>>>
>>> South Asia at the U of A:
>>> ​sas.ualberta.ca​ <http://sas.ualberta.ca/>
>>> ​​

> [...]

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk