[INDOLOGY] Der im Traum pferdlos geritten ist (Re: Brackets in modern sanskrit translations

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Mon Jun 4 20:39:50 UTC 2018

Dear Adheesh,

reading Dominik's "RED BUTTON" thoughts ;-) , the Kielhorn quotation
which he provides, and your comment, made me realize two things:

(1)
I am glad Kielhorn wrote the way he wrote :-)
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PCYb5KMkh5E/VxqoZQErkLI/AAAAAAAAfuU/pTICt1pelO4LyLWHUSJTefYYk5f3wXJXACLcB/s1600/kielhorn.jpg
I find it beautiful (and mentally stimulating)

(2)
Many native speakers of English do not realize how it is for others,
whose feelings have been eloquently expressed by the mathematician
Hermann Weyl in the preface to one of his books

https://books.google.de/books?id=2twDDAAAQBAJ

<BEGIN QUOTE>
"The gods have imposed upon my writing the yoke of a foreign tongue that
was not sung at my cradle."
<END QUOTE>

[and switched to German, saying:]
<BEGIN QUOTE>
"Was dies heissen will weiss jeder
Der im Traum pferdlos geritten ist"
<END QUOTE>

(see attached image, if it goes through)

I had found (LONG AGO) a web page (no longer active)

http://www.mis.mpg.de/zeidler/preface-qft1.pdf

where these two German lines were translated as:

"Everyone who has dreamt of riding free, without the need of a horse,
will know what I mean".

Best wishes

-- Jean-Luc (in Hamburg)

https://univ-paris-diderot.academia.edu/JeanLucChevillard