[INDOLOGY] Kashmir Shaiva and 'vernacular' - a question

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 22:46:46 UTC 2018

1) The KSTS edition of the tantrasara is downloadable from the muktabodha
digital library  www.muktabodha.org both as a digital e-text and as a pdf
of the original ksts edition.  The pdf version is probably more reliable
than the e-text to look at the Apabhramsa verses since in the e-text some
additional spaces have been put in between the "chaotic umble of letters"
mentioned in Andrew Ollett's message.

2) In an unpublished translation of the tantrasAra by B.N. Pandit that I
saw about 20 years ago he ascribed the Apabhramsa passages to a female guru
of a Kashmir Saivite lineage.  He didn't say if this was a traditional view
or his opinion.  I don't remember any other details about what he said.

Harry Spier