[INDOLOGY] Continuing my Krishna Verses

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Aug 10 02:01:00 UTC 2018

Continuing my Krishna Verses:

माधवोमाधवसंवादकेलि:
Playful Conversation between Mādhava [Vishnu] and Umādhava [= Shiva]

उमाधवं माधवोऽसौ प्राह सौख्यं मया [मा > मया] लभे ।
कथं त्वमुमया युक्तो भस्मना चर्चितोऽनिशम् ।।४७३।।
Mādhava, the husband of Mā, said to the husband of Umā [Shiva] - “With
Lakshmi [= mā], I am happy. How is it that you are united with Umā, and yet
smear yourself with ashes?”

शिवो ब्रूते मदीयोमा द्यूते जयति सर्वदा ।
निर्जितोऽहं तया खिन्नो वपुर्लिम्पामि भस्मना ।।४७४।।
Shiva said - “My Uma always wins in the game of dice. Defeated by her I am
depressed and smear my body with ashes.”

करोमि ताण्डवं शैलेऽप्रसन्नोऽहं पराजये ।
उमां जयन्तीं दृष्ट्वा मे मात्सर्यं हृदि जायते ।।४७५।।
“Unhappy in my defeat, I perform the Tandava dance on the mountain. Seeing
Uma winning, I become jealous.”

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics