[INDOLOGY] Continuing my Krishna Verses

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue Aug 7 18:49:55 UTC 2018

Continuing my Krishna Verses:

मा-माधव-संवाद-केलि:
Sanskrit Riddle: Playful conversation between Mā [=Lakshmi] and Mādhava

माधव उवाच -
Madhava said:

अयि मे! त्वयि मे चित्तं संलग्नं मयि ते यथा ।
माधवो रमते मायां रमते माधवेऽपि मा ।।४७१।।
[tips: मे is the vocative of मा, मायाम् is the locative form, and मा is the
nominative form]

O Lakshmi [= मे], my heart is attached to you, as is yours to me. Mādhava
delights in Lakshmi [= मायाम्], and Lakshmi [= मा] delights in Madhava.

मोवाच -
Lakshmi [= मा] said:

मयि माधव ते चित्तं संलग्नं त्वयि मे यथा ।
मया विना कथं जीवेन्माधवो मा विना त्वया ।।४७२।।
O Madhava, your heart is attached to me, as mine is attached to you. How
can Mādhava live without me/Lakshmi [मया = instrumental form of मा, OR
अस्मद् ], and how can Lakshmi [= मा] live without you?

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan