[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit idiom question

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 06:34:46 UTC 2017

Thanks, Ashok. I know that /dvāraṃ kurute /would mean 'makes a door',
but 'the moon makes a door, then/therefore [the querent] gains
something' doesn't make much sense if the phrase is taken literally.
Thus, my question is whether such an idiomatic expression (perhaps in
the sense of 'making an opportunity') is attested elsewhere.

Personally, I rather suspect that the phrase is a corruption or scribal
'correction', and that the original read something like
/daśamadṛśendūvāraṃ kurute/. (Arabic /idbār /as the name of an
astrological configuration is typically Sanskritized as /induvāra /with
a short /u/, but authors tend to be rather free with the orthography of
such loanwords in order to fit their chosen metres.) But I didn't want
to jump to conclusions without first asking if anybody recognized the
door-making idiom.

Martin