[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit idiom question

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 18:29:04 UTC 2017

Martin,

Through ‘provides an opening’ in my last email I have indicated that I took a non-literal meaning for dvāraṁ kurute. You can, if you wish, replace ‘provides an opening’ with ‘provides an opportunity’.

Two statements like
(a) ‘(Gaining of a kingdom) would not be there if the moon is weak’
and
(b) ‘But if the moon is free from an unfavorable daśama-dṛk planet, (the kingdom-seeker) gains something (similar)’
seem quite plausible to me. The second does not contradict the first; it simply qualifies the first. Access is spoken of as blocked in the first. The second speaks of it being given again under certain special conditions.

Since my knowledge of astrological texts is close to zero, I am not questioning your rendering of astrologically significant words, but identifying the subject of the second sentence with ‘querent’ does seem problematic to me. That subject should be the same as the (implicit) subject of the first sentence, that is, the same as the agent of the action of acquiring a kingdom.

The secondary sense of dvār/dvāra, ‘access, entry’, is noted in Apte, etc. A well-known example would be the athavā kṛta-vāg-dvāre in the opening verses of Kālidāsa’s Raghu-vaṁśa.

That we are free to coin other phrases of the type ‘object + kṛ’ is indicated by “open class” in my last post.

Incidentally, disabling of the Moon by a krūra-graha and the counteracting of that disabling by the planet Budha is cleverly used in verse 1.6 of Viśākha-datta’s play Mudrā-rākṣasa.

a.a.