Re: [INDOLOGY] śākhāvṛkṣavat samāsaḥ

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Aug 14 15:50:31 UTC 2017

Hello Victor,

     I have not seen Śākhāvr̥kṣa as an example in a Sanskrit grammatical
work or in Sanskrit literature.  However, I see this word used in Marathi
and Hindi texts dealing with genealogical trees and describing the Śākhās
of the Veda.  The explanation by the commentator on Meghadūta seems
appropriate: śiñjāvanti valayāni as a parallel to śākhāvān vr̥kṣaḥ.

Madhav Deshpande