[INDOLOGY] śākhāvṛkṣavat samāsaḥ

victor davella vbd203 at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 14 15:20:48 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Has anyone come across śākhāvṛkṣavat samāsaḥ as an explanation for a
Sanskrit compound? I have encountered it in Dakṣiṇāvartanātha's commentary
ad Meghadūta 76 (2.16/19 etc.) to explain śiñjā-valaya- :

śiñjā śiñjitaṃ; śiñjāvanti valayāni śiñjāvalayāni | śākhāvṛkṣavat samāsaḥ.

The elision of a possessive suffix (matublopa) is known from the
Mahābhāṣya, but I am not familiar with the example śākhāvṛkṣa.  Please
reply on-list so that everyone may benefit from the exchange.

Many thanks in advance.

Victor

Victor B. D'Avella
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter