[INDOLOGY] Translation of yaṣṭihastaya

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 00:22:00 UTC 2016

Dear list members:

A gāyatrī mantra mantra to Vāyu is:

sarvaprāṇāya vidmahe
yaṣṭihastāya dhīmahi
tan no vāyuḥ pracodayāt

I've seen a translation of yaṣṭihastāya as "holding the mace" but are
statues or pictoral representations of Vāyu, and if so  with a mace?

but Monier-Williams also  has a meaning of yaṣṭi as "sacrificing" which he
says comes from a commentator on Panini 3-3-110 .

 By any chance could someone point out the commentator and point me to the
passage MW refers to.

Also based on that definition of yaṣṭi does a translation of yaṣṭihastāya
as "to the one who sacrifices with his hands" make sense. refering to the
wind fanning the flames of the sacrifice.

Thanks,

Harry Spier