[INDOLOGY] Crypto-Hindu and crypto-Buddhist

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 18:15:45 UTC 2016

> Can anyone enlighten me the contemporary usage of “crypto-“ in South
Indian religious discourse, and its historical source.

Why particularly South Indian ? Any special reason?

Before you help me understand that aspect, let me mention a usage similar
to this but different from this:

Krishna is called Kuhanaagopa - a 'pseudo-pastoral' in a highly positive
praising sense: in the sense that he is none other than Bhagavaan
/Paramaatman/ Parabrahman  disguised as a cattle-rearer.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Matthew Kapstein <mkapstei at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> The "crypto-Buddhist" charge against Śaṅkara is, I think, inspired by
> RamAnuja's
> (at least, I recall it as RamAnuja's) castigation of him as
> prachanna-bauddha, for
> which crypto-Buddhist is fair enough as a translation. I don't think that
> we find
> a similar emic notion of "crypto-Hindu," though there are some Buddhist
> polemics
> I know that may suggest this. Tibetan critics of Dol-po-pa's theory of
> "extrinsic
> emptiness" (Gzhan-stong), for instance, often condemn it as disguised
> sAMkhya or vedAnta,
> but I doubt that Ritzinger or Hodge had this in mind.
>
> best,
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études,
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )