[INDOLOGY] Crypto-Hindu and crypto-Buddhist

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 14 14:58:14 UTC 2016

Hi Bill,

The "crypto-Buddhist" charge against Śaṅkara is, I think, inspired by RamAnuja's
(at least, I recall it as RamAnuja's) castigation of him as prachanna-bauddha, for
which crypto-Buddhist is fair enough as a translation. I don't think that we find
a similar emic notion of "crypto-Hindu," though there are some Buddhist polemics
I know that may suggest this. Tibetan critics of Dol-po-pa's theory of "extrinsic
emptiness" (Gzhan-stong), for instance, often condemn it as disguised sAMkhya or vedAnta,
but I doubt that Ritzinger or Hodge had this in mind.

best,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago