[INDOLOGY] Eating flesh of a jogi, a magician, a healer

George Hart glhart at berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 25 19:46:34 UTC 2016

This may be true in some instances of cannibalism, but I don’t think it applies when someone eats the flesh of an enemy he has killed. Rather, the purpose is to inoculate the killer against the spirit of the dead person by creating a link of identity between the two, the idea being that the dead spirit would not try to harm itself. Why would you need the strength of someone you are already strong enough to kill? If that were the purpose of consuming your enemy, you might acquire the weakness he has shown by being defeated and lose the strength you already had that allowed you to prevail. In the Sangam poems, we find the ritual of the war sacrifice, in which body parts of dead enemies are ceremonially cooked (boiled), though there is no evidence that the resultant “food” was actually eaten. And in the Kaliṅkattupparaṇi, there are long descriptions of ghosts and macabre deities feasting on the war dead. George