[INDOLOGY] Eating flesh of a jogi, a magician, a healer

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:51:33 UTC 2016

On 25 April 2016 at 13:46, George Hart <glhart at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> ​[...] ​
> Rather, the purpose is to inoculate the killer against the spirit of the
> dead person
> ​[...]

​Any hint of inoculation of course raises the interest of a medical
historian :-)  But I am sure you were not speaking technically. ​

​This is a fork in the conversation, but there are passages in the ayuvedic
literature where the authors worry about the issue of poisonous
caterpillars, and how it is that the caterpillars don't poison themselves
or their offspring.  It's a good question, I think.

Best,
Dominik

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk* <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity