[INDOLOGY] Tibetan Translations of Indian Texts

James Hartzell james.hartzell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 17:44:38 UTC 2015

HI James

You may also have a look at my article

Hartzell,  J.F.  (2012) Buddhist  Sanskrit  Tantras: the samādhi of  the
ploughed  row,”  Pacific World: Journal of  the Institute  of  Buddhist
Studies, third  series,  no.  14,  pp.  63-178.

it provides some information on the dates of translations of Buddhist
Sanskrit Tantras into Tibetan.

It is available via free download from the journal website
http://www.shin-ibs.edu/publications/pacific-world/pacific-world-third-series-number-14-fall-2012/

Cheers
James

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 7:29 AM, Matthew Kapstein <mkapstei at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> James,
>
> I don't have a copy at hand to double check, but if memory serves me, vol.
> 2 of
> L'Inde Classique has useful overviews of Tibetan and Chinese translations
> of Indian works.
>
> My article, "The Indian Identity in Tibetan Literature," in S. Pollock,
> Literary Cultures in History,
> surveys some aspects of the "indianization" of Tibetan literature.
>
> Peter Verhagen's two vols. (Brill) on Tibetan studies of Sanskrit grammer
> provide a
> very thorough guide to that area.
>
> The useful site of the University of Vienna
> https://www.istb.univie.ac.at/kanjur/xml3/xml/
> provides a variety of resources for exploring the Tibetan canonical
> collections,
> with emphasis on the Kanjur rather than the Tanjur (where most of the
> material on
> the vidyaashtaana-s is found). It does reference the various catalogues of
> both
> collections.
>
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études,
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago

James Hartzell, PhD
Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC)
The University of Trento, Italy