[INDOLOGY] Tibetan Translations of Indian Texts

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 30 15:29:50 UTC 2015

James,

I don't have a copy at hand to double check, but if memory serves me, vol. 2 of
L'Inde Classique has useful overviews of Tibetan and Chinese translations of Indian works.

My article, "The Indian Identity in Tibetan Literature," in S. Pollock, Literary Cultures in History,
surveys some aspects of the "indianization" of Tibetan literature.

Peter Verhagen's two vols. (Brill) on Tibetan studies of Sanskrit grammer provide a
very thorough guide to that area.

The useful site of the University of Vienna
https://www.istb.univie.ac.at/kanjur/xml3/xml/
provides a variety of resources for exploring the Tibetan canonical collections,
with emphasis on the Kanjur rather than the Tanjur (where most of the material on
the vidyaashtaana-s is found). It does reference the various catalogues of both
collections.

Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago