[INDOLOGY] two questions

palaniappa at aol.com palaniappa at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 20:24:53 UTC 2015

At least for the second item, I may have a possible suggestion. It is possible you may have a dance style being referred to by the term agamārtha which seems to have undergone some changes going from Tamil into Sanskrit either due to different forms of hypercorrection or possible transcription errors.  The source word in the Tamil tradition is akamārkkam (transliterated in Tamil Lexicon style) which is a hybrid made up of Tamil akam and Sanskrit mārga. If one were to transliterate it based on pronunciation, it could be transliterated as ahamārga or agamārga. (The classical Tamil text, the Akanāṉūṟu (transliterated in Tamil Lexicon style) is variously transliterated as the Ahanāṉūṟu and the Aganāṉūṟu.) The Bharatārṇava of Nandikeśvara transliterates this as ahamārga. (See pp. 34 and 137) in the attachment. In the same attachment, Mahākāla is said to be invoked at the entrance to the stage during the first performance or installation of the stage (pp. 472-474).

South Indian Inscriptions vol. 23, inscription no. 306 transliterates it as agamārgga.

Was the ascetic from the Tamil country? What is the date of the text?

Regards,
Palaniappan