A plea for respect and decency

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Mon Mar 20 16:40:59 UTC 2000

Chris Wallis wrote:

> > >sometimes gets the feeling that the list is more of a schoolyard
> > >playground in an inner-city school than an mature academic forum.
> > "Inner city schools", are we struck in some stereotypes or what how about
> > suburban schools, how about just any high school in America why just inner
> > city schools ?
>
> Because inner-city schools display the racial and cultural tensions that
> we see exhibited on the list.
> C.W.

I wonder Chris where you live. The tensions you mention are increasingly
found outside the inner city as minorities continue to migrate to the
suburbs and even rural areas as they have over the past decade or so.

I have a friend from rural Minnesota who knew only a few Native Indian
people from a nearby Chippewa reservation as he was growing up.

Now, the convienence store down the road from his parent's house is
owned by Ethiopian immigrants, and all the gas stations in town by
Indians or 'Middle Easterners.'

He says that there is a fairly large African American student body at
his former high school now, while there was not one while he went there.

Sorry for straying off topic.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala

--