River Sarasvati: Atomic scientists reconfirm location

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Thu Mar 9 18:45:53 UTC 2000

Bijoy Misra wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:
> >
> > > Well, as a general rule, don't dismiss the scientists so easily.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but on indological matters I insist on dismissing scientists
> > very easily.
> >

> I don't get this statement.  Is this a private view or a creed
> for the forum?
>
> What you probably think is that interdiscipinary science
> is a serious task.  But don't dismiss scientific point
> of view.  Any discovery of any kind is analytic science.

I agree. Prehistory is not usually determined by philological study
of texts written down thousands of years after the proposed events.

Archaeology, anthropology, genetics, etc., are the 'harder' approaches
that must be used in analyzing the past.

Free interpretation of Vedic hymns, dating of language, etc. is very
soft, mushy stuff.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala

--