[INDOLOGY] English Translation of the Bhāgavata Purāṇa

Oliver Fallon oliverfallon108 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 09:46:43 UTC 2024

Dear Mrinal,
The Gita press translation is generally accurate and reliable (tell your
friend to ignore the Mahātmya at the beginning):
https://archive.org/details/kvrE_shrimad-bhagavata-mahapurana-english-of-c.-l.-goswami-m.-a-shastri-part-1-gita-press-gorakhpur/mode/2up
The Motilal translation by Tagare is a paraphrase of the Gita Press edition
and not always an improvement, but easier to obtain a print copy of:
https://archive.org/details/dli.bengal.10689.16139/page/n5/mode/2up

There's a very good abridged translation by V. Raghavan:
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.68509/page/n185/mode/2up

The 'translation' by Bibek Debroy is truly atrocious.

For Canto 10 only:
Edwin Bryant's translation is very nice:
Edwin Bryant (2004), Krishna: The Beautiful Legend of God: Srimad Bhagavata
Purana Book X, Penguin, ISBN
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISBN_(identifier)> 978-0140447996
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/978-0140447996>
Otherwise there is a very good annotated selection by Gupta and Valpey here:
https://cup.columbia.edu/book/the-bhagavata-purana/9780231169011

The Bhāgavatam is often more Kāvya than Purāṇa and so is very difficult to
do justice to in translation!

Best wishes,
Oliver