[INDOLOGY] Direct Realism of Nyāya

Ram-Prasad, Chakravarthi c.ram-prasad at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jun 14 12:23:50 UTC 2024

On the particular point about Matilal, he uses both ‘direct’ and ‘naïve’ realism, as far as I can tell, interchangeably. And as Alex says, not all contemporary Western philosophers distinguish between the two (and even fewer did in the 1980s when Matilal was writing). With that in mind, and agreeing with Prof Łucyszyna on what we may interpret as Nyāya’s ‘explicit’ commitment,  Matilal’s own treatment of the nirākāra-vāda in Perception (1986) is worth looking at. Whether nirākāra-vāda should be read as direct or naïve realism or both is another matter.
Best,
Ram

Chakravarthi Ram-Prasad
Fellow of the British Academy
Distinguished Professor of Comparative Philosophy and Religion
Deputy Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Lancaster University
U.K.