[INDOLOGY] help with meter

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Jun 10 16:03:01 UTC 2024

Dear Aleksandar,

The verse
*ṣara**ṃ pradhānam am**ṛtāk**ṣara**ṃ hara**ḥ k**ṣarātmānāv īśate deva eka**ḥ
/*
  *tasyābhidhyānād  yojanāt tattvabhāvād bhūyaś cānte viśvamāyāniv**ṛtti**ḥ
// 1.10 // *
Is found in the Śvetāśvatara Upaniṣad [1.10].

So this is not a classical composition, and therefore not subject to the
rules of classical meters. We have to treat it as a late Vedic verse form.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]