[INDOLOGY] Descriptive sanskrit manuscript catalogues best practices

Claudius Teodorescu claudius.teodorescu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 09:24:59 UTC 2024

Hi!

I think that, as a standard for cataloguing considering this well-spotted
by Dominik difference between "work" and "manuscript", one can use FaBiO,
the FRBR-aligned Bibliographic Ontology (see [1]), which is based upon
Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records approach (see [2]).

This approach differentiates between four "entities":
1. *Work*, which is the intellectual or artistic creation, on an abstract,
conceptual level; this entity is referred usually as "I have read
Bhagavad-Gita!" without reference to editor, edition, physical or digital
format, etc.
2. *Expression*, which is another abstract entity, involving the
realization of an work as text or audiobook, or in another language.
3. *Manifestation*, which is the "physical embodiment of an expression of a
work" [2].
4. *Item*, which is an "exemplar of a *manifestation*" [2], a physical or
digital object.

An example from [2], about the work *Gone with the Wind*:
[image: image.png]

Best regards,
Claudius Teodorescu

[1] https://sparontologies.github.io/fabio/current/fabio.html