[INDOLOGY] Descriptive sanskrit manuscript catalogues best practices

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 00:20:04 UTC 2024

Dominik has as usual identified the central issue, should a manuscript
catalogue describe "works" or "manuscripts".

But a more complicated related question (and the reason I asked my original
question) is "what should be in the catalog descriptions of on-line
sanskrit etext collections?". Is it even possible to come up with a
standard for this, and would it be useful?  There is SARIT, GRETIL,
Muktabodha, Digital Corpus of Sanskrit, TITUS and others online.  So  what
should be the standards for cataloguing these. What to put in their
headers. This is of course complicated because some of the etexts in these
collections are manuscripts and some are copies of published editions
(works). Several collections including Muktabodha contain both published
editions and manuscripts. .

Should such a catalog be directed towards experts (i.e. assume they know
the work) or should there be information useful to people who are less than
expert (information about the work). To give a trivial example. The
Muktabodha digital library contains the Bhagavadgītā with the commentary of
Abhinavagupta edited by Lakshman Joo. This is the Kashmiri recension of the
Bhagavadgita.  Should a catalog entry for this etext just say its the
Kashmiri recension (sufficient information for knowledgeable people) or
should a catalog entry for this etext explain in brief the differences
between the vulgate and the Kashmiri recension (useful to students less
than expert in the Bhagavadgita) who may have come across this in their
internet searchs.

Thanks,
Harry Spier