[INDOLOGY] Kataragama-shrine at Kandy

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Wed May 24 07:40:24 UTC 2023

Dear Dr Koch

I have not had any contact with him since my graduate student days, but
according to what I could quickly find online, Patrick Harrigan
<https://www.google.nl/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:%22Patrick+Harrigan%22>
is still active (?) in researching specifically this site.
See https://umich.academia.edu/PatrickHarrigan
https://amesa.library.columbia.edu/scholars/723?locale=en
the latter with further links (not that the two website links are not
clickable because of some error but you can copy paste them individually).
Perhaps this is a useful contact.

Jonathan Silk

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 12:45 PM Rolf Heinrich Koch via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear listmembers,
> the renaming of the brahmanical Skandakumāra-devale at Kandy into a
> Kataragama-devale must have happened at the beginning of the 19th
> century according to my research. It is not very long ago but I was
> without success to get any information about this issue. After the
> renaming of the Skandakumāra-shrine into a Kataragama-shrine the
> depictions of the original Kataragama are now vanishing and replaced by
> pictures of Skandakumāra.
> Maybe someone of you can provide some details on the name change?
> Thank you in advance
>
> Heiner
>
> --
> Dr. Rolf Heinrich Koch
> www.rolfheinrichkoch.wordpress.com

Prof. dr. J.A. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden

website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk