[INDOLOGY] Avagraha (or lack of) in Kashmiri manuscripts

Deepro Chakraborty deepro at ualberta.ca
Mon May 8 22:20:42 UTC 2023

Dear Harry,

The *avagraha* in the Devanāgari manuscript seems to follow the trait of
Sharada manuscripts in which the *avagraha* functions as a sandhi mark
<https://symbl.cc/en/111C9/>. So, it has a broader use than just being used
in cases of an *abhinihita *sandhi.

Deepro Chakraborty
(he/him)
PhD candidate
Department of History, Classics, and Religion
University of Alberta

*The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on ᐊᒥᐢᑿᒌᐚᐢᑲᐦᐃᑲᐣ
(Amiskwacîwâskahikan) Treaty 6 territory, and respects the history,
languages, and cultures of the First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and all First
Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our institution.*