[INDOLOGY] CORRECTION: Avagraha (or lack of) in Kashmiri manuscripts

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Sun May 7 14:05:00 UTC 2023

Thank you Elliot,
I've been going through transcriptions of a group of manuscripts from the
Ragunath Temple, Jammu and in the eloquent words of Charles DiSimone who
replied offlist in describing some Nepalese manuscripts, its a mishmash.

Some don't have have avagraha. Some have one or two in a whole manuscript
and some use avagraha.  Where manuscripts use avagraha to elide a afte e or
o they also use avagraha to indicate ā+a .

But in some cases I'm finding avagraha in places strange places. I've
checked these following cases against the actual manuscripts which are in
archive.org.  For example:

dakṣiṇāmūrtisaṁhitā ऋषिऽस्याद्दक्षिणामूर्तिर्गायत्रीछंद उच्यते ।। 4 ।।
folio 21aअंतेजीवऽशिवस्यातुविद्या वरुण पूजिता ।। 43 ।। folio 55b

 kaulārcanadīpikā
 लोकोयंऽजुगुप्सिति folio 43bनिःसंग एव मोक्षऽस्याद्दोषाःसर्वेच संगजाः । folio 57a

mudrāprakāśaḥ शिखयागालिनींमुद्रामऽर्धस्यो परिचालयेत् । folio
11aअनामामध्यमेअंगुष्टेन स्पृशेदित्यऽपानमुद्रा ।। 2 ।। folio
18aस्यादऽपानहुतौमुद्रा ।। 2 ।। folio
21aमध्यापृष्टेंऽगुष्टौमध्याक्रोडेस्थितौकाम कामइतिकाममुद्रेत्यर्थः ।।
19 ।। folio 30a

Any explanation for the use of avagraha in these cases would be appreciated.

If anyone wants to look at the actual manuscript I can provide the images
for these cases.

Harry Spier