[INDOLOGY] Devanagari v and b in manuscripts from Kashmir

Charles Li cchli at cantab.net
Mon Mar 27 19:10:18 UTC 2023

> The author is Dr Charles Li.

That's me!

Saktumiva is part of an ongoing effort to produce critical editions
starting from diplomatically* transcribing manuscripts. Then, at the
collation stage, common orthographic variants are filtered out
automatically — this can be configured depending on what you want to see
in your apparatus. The idea is to keep as much information intact as
possible, so that later scholars can reproduce the work and easily
critically evaluate the decisions that went into it.

Here is a shameless plug for a text that I recently edited in this way,
the story of King Śibi in the /Vahnipurāṇa/:

    https://alt.cardiffuniversitypress.org/articles/10.18573/alt.58

The article is accompanied by a digital edition, here:

    https://tst-project.github.io/siberupakhyana

The digital edition includes diplomatic transcriptions of every witness,
alignments of every verse in the text, and images of the manuscripts or
printed books that are transcribed, where possible. The idea is that the
work should be reproducible, like "Real Science" — following a series of
steps, you should be able to either reproduce that text that I've
critically edited, or else make different decisions that will give you a
different text. (I imagine I'm not the only person who has struggled
with interpreting a critical text, only to spend ages tracking down the
sources and finally discovering that the editor just misread an akṣara.)
Making all of the material available will also hopefully make it easier
for scholars to re-use the work in the future, whether for simple text
mining, or analyzing text reuse, or for creating new critical texts.

Best,

Charles

*As the foregoing conversation demonstrates, transcription is inherently
an interpretive act, and scholarly practice with respect to diplomacy
varies widely. But even mechanical reproduction is inherently
interpretive — for example, colour calibration in photography, and this
famous case of photocopier error:
https://www.dkriesel.com/en/blog/2015/0823_video_slides_xerox_talk_froscon