[INDOLOGY] AI: the hallucinations of chatGPT and Bard

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 18:08:09 UTC 2023

I expect many of us are beginning to see student essays that are partly or
wholly generated by chatGPT and friends.  Reading these is a strange
experience.  The texts are like a fever-dream of a real essay.  Almost
correct, often plausible, strangely vague, sometimes insanely wrong and
sometimes quite fantastical.   They are textual versions of the AI pictures
"woman laughing alone with salad
<https://www.eatliver.com/women-laughing-alone-with-salad/>," with two rows
of teeth and indeterminate numbers of fingers.

One of my favourite features is imagined bibliographies.  We all enjoyed
the hilarious fake indological bibliography in Lee Siegel's *Love in a Dead
Language*.  Now, chatGPT is producing its own almost-real bibliographical
entities.  E.g., from one of my students this term,

   -

   Bryant, E. F., Chakravarty, K. K., & Pal, J. N. (2001). *The excavations
   at Adamgarh: A Protohistoric site in Central India*. Oxford & IBH
   Publishing Co.

Are you being faced with fake bibliography entries like this?

Best,
Dominik