[INDOLOGY] Fwd: ळ in south Indian grantha sanskrit manuscripts

Satyanad Kichenassamy satyanad.kichenassamy at univ-reims.fr
Fri Mar 24 17:37:00 UTC 2023

Dear Jonas,

It is not clear that IAST is that universal among us (Sanskritists). As
Keith pointed out, many of us do use something like ISO 15919. I use
IAST or ISO 15919 in my papers when I analyze Sanskrit texts, for the
reason you gave. But I usually try to include if possible the text in an
Indian script, preferably Grantha for South Indian texts, and Nagari
otherwise, to avoid confusions.

What I was suggesting is that since GRETIL usually includes several
versions of each text, it may be feasible to include one more version in
a truly inclusive transliteration. As I said, this is necessary when
considering South Indian mss, and possibly other mss.

Of course, IAST may have to evolve eventually. We do not use the same
transcriptions as, say, Colebrooke even though he is still worth reading
today. As பவணந்தி (Pavananti) wrote,

பழையன​ கழிதலும் புதியன​ புகுதலும்
வழுவல​ கால வகையி னானே

(நன்னூல் ௪௬௨)

(It is not wrong that the old should be discarded and innovations
introduced for such is indeed the way of Time.)

Best regards,

Satyanad