[INDOLOGY] Fwd: ळ in south Indian grantha sanskrit manuscripts

Buchholz, Jonas jonas.buchholz at hadw-bw.de
Fri Mar 24 14:54:40 UTC 2023

Dear Satyanad,

indeed, as you point out, the IAST transliteration for Sanskrit and the standard Tamil transliteration are not really compatible, e/ē and o/ō being another case in point. Some Tamil transliteration schemes solve the problem by transliterating long e and o as e/o (as in IAST) and short e and o as ĕ/ŏ, but of course that is completely illogical from the perspective of the Tamil language. ISO 15919 has the big advantage of being compatible with all Indic script and languages, but given that IAST has long been accepted as the standard for Sanskrit transliteration, I doubt whether Sanskritists would be willing to adopt a different transliteration scheme.

Best wishes,
Jonas

Dr. Jonas Buchholz
Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
Project “Hindu Temple Legends in South India”

Karl Jaspers Centre
Voßstr. 2 | Building 4400 | Room 004
69115 Heidelberg, Germany

P:  +49 (0)6221 54 4095