[INDOLOGY] Fwd: ळ in south Indian grantha sanskrit manuscripts

Satyanad Kichenassamy satyanad.kichenassamy at univ-reims.fr
Fri Mar 24 13:46:02 UTC 2023

That's one more reason to revise IAST since the letter you mention (/ḻ/)
is the now standard transliteration for another letter, the Tamil ழ்
namely, the final letter of /Tamiḻ.
/

The French used to have a different system that mixes lower and
upper-case characters, but this system does not seem to be very popular
anymore.

IAST, as its name indicates, is adapted to Sanskrit only. Another
familiar issue is fact that e and o indicate long letters in IAST and
short ones in Tamil, and in other languages that have these short letters.

>From a practical viewpoint, it would be nice to have versions in GRETIL
and other repositories that are more inclusive, at least
Tamil-compatible, since manuscripts containing Tamil and Sanskrit text
together are plenty. S'aivism is an obvious example. For mathematics,
especially in the Madhava school that produced extremely interesting
results from the fourteenth century onwards, Malayalam and Sanskrit may
be used concurrently, so that the same issue arises.

One should remember that in India, texts in several languages are very
common, and that the problem was solved by having a different script for
each language. Transliteration in such cases fails to reproduce an
essential element of manuscripts. I remember a music composition that
used four scripts.

We Indologists needs to be as inclusive as possible for obvious reasons.

Satyanad Kichenassamy