[INDOLOGY] ळ in south Indian grantha sanskrit manuscripts

Charles Li cchli at cantab.net
Fri Mar 24 13:45:07 UTC 2023

Hi everyone,

Since we're on the topic of Kannada and the retroflex ḷ, I was wondering
if anyone has seen this weird Devanagari sign for "ḷa". I'm attaching
two photos of the same passage from a Kannada commentary on the
Amarakoṣa, the first one in Devanagari script (British Library IO SAN
1758), and the second in Tigalari (IFP RE33635). The passage reads:

    guṇāḥ | guṇagaḷū |

As seen in RE33635, the last character is "ḷū". But Devanagari scribe
consistently uses a funny sign, a kind of ल with an extra hook, to
transcribe this. Has anyone seen this anywhere else?

Best,

Charles