[INDOLOGY] Fwd: ळ in south Indian grantha sanskrit manuscripts

Satyanad Kichenassamy satyanad.kichenassamy at univ-reims.fr
Fri Mar 24 10:31:15 UTC 2023

Dear Jonas (if I may),

IAST, as you say, is not satisfactory. ISO 15919 is better in this
regard, as it distinguishes ḷ and l̥. IPA uses l̩
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllabic_consonant> for ऌ.

Best regards,

              Satyanad Kichenassamy

Le 24/03/2023 à 09:13, Buchholz, Jonas a écrit :

> Dear Harry (if I may),
>
> Retroflex l (ळ)is quite common in South Indian Sanskrit manuscripts
> and prints. For example, in the Śaiva /Kāñcīmāhātmya/ (a Sanskrit
> sthalamāhātmya on the city of Kanchipuram), I find the following
> examples just in the first two chapterts: śītal̤a, yugal̤a,
> uddhūl̤ita, kāl̤ikā, vakul̤a, nāl̤ikera, dal̤a, niṣkal̤a, sakal̤a,
> kramel̤aka, maul̤i…
>
> Sanskrit loanwords in South Indian languages also often reflect the
> pronunciation with retroflex l, e.g. the goddes Kālī is called
> காளிKāḷi (with retroflex l) in Tamil.
>
> My impression is that there are certain words in which l is quite
> consistently replaced by retroflex l, while other words retain then
> “normal” l. However, I have not been able to find any consistent
> pattern when l becomes retroflex – any insights would be appreciated!
>
> Another question is how retroflex l should be represented in Roman
> transliteration. The most straightforward solution would be ḷ (in
> analogy with ṭ, ḍ, ṇ, ṣ), which is also the character used for
> retroflex l in Tamil transliteration, but in IAST transliteration ḷ is
> already reserved for vocalic l (ऌ). As you can see above, I have
> tentatively been using l̤ for retroflex l, but I would be happy to
> know if any other conventions have been used.
>
> Best wishes,
> Jonas Buchholz
>
> _______                _____ _
>
> *Dr. Jonas Buchholz*
>
> Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
>
> Project “Hindu Temple Legends in South India”
>
> Karl Jaspers Centre
>
> Voßstr. 2 | Building 4400 | Room 004
>
> 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
>
> P: +49 (0)6221 54 4095
>
> E: jonas.buchholz at hadw-bw.de

Satyanad KICHENASSAMY
Professor of Mathematics
Laboratoire de Mathématiques de Reims  (CNRS, UMR9008)
Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne
F-51687 Reims Cedex 2
France
Web:https://www.normalesup.org/~kichenassamy