[INDOLOGY] ळ in south Indian grantha sanskrit manuscripts

Anna Aurelia Esposito anna.esposito at uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Mar 24 08:29:30 UTC 2023

Dear Harry Spier,
I found the same in drama manuscripts written in Malayāḷam script. In
particular Sanskrit words intervocalic l is replaced by ḷ. This usage
persevers not only in all manuscripts, but also in the editions
printed in Malayāḷam script (see e.g. the edition of the “Trivandrum
Plays” ascribed to Bhasa of Bhāskaran, 1987).

In Cārudatta ascribed to Bhāsa we find for example ḷ in I.2a
dehaḷīnām, I.13b bahaḷa-, I.13b -kāḷā-, I.26.38 viḷambase, III.8b
karāḷo, III.10b -kākaḷīṣu, III.12d nīḷa-, in Dūtavākya -kaḷaṅka-
35.1, -praḷaya- 47c and *49c, -laḷitā- *47a.

So far, no one has been able to explain to me why the l has been
changed to ḷ in these words, and consistently in every manuscript (and
also in the printed edition). A possible explanation would be, as you
suggest, that one scribe read the text and the other wrote it; but in
some cases it is evident from the errors in the manuscripts that the
text was copied and not written down by hearing. I am curious if
someone from the list can give us an explanation.

Best wishes,
Anna Esposito

Zitat von Harry Spier via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info>:

> Dear list members,
> I'm looking at the devanagari transcription of a south indian grantha
> manuscript.  most consonent l's are the classical sanskrit l i.e. ल but
> some words have the letter, ळ .
> Some examples are:
> प्रक्षाळ्य
>
> नाळिकेरोद्भवंपादौप्रक्षाळ्याचम्यमुकुळीकृतियपिण्गळायवामांघ्र्यब्जदळासह्रिताम्अण्गुळ्यग्रेणशुद्धविद्यातत्वव्याप्तसर्वमणळोपेतं
>
> I'm pretty sure this isn't from typist misprints because प्रक्षाळ्य
> occcurs many times always spelled with ळ
>
> Any explanations would be appreciated.  My understanding is that sometimes
> manuscripts were created by one scribe speaking the text and another scribe
> writing what he hears.  Is that a possible explanation for the occurance of
> this letter ळ .  I.e. local pronounciation creeping in.
>
> Thanks,
> Harry Spier

PD Dr. Anna Aurelia Esposito
Universität Würzburg