[INDOLOGY] ळ in south Indian grantha sanskrit manuscripts

George Hart glhart at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 24 19:47:45 UTC 2023

Looking through the Tamil Lexicon, I find kāḷi for the name of the goddess but not kāli. Similarly, piraḷayakālam but no entry for piralaya. On the other hand, Sanskrit Vālī becomes only vāli, not vāḷi. It would seem that these usages are consistent and required in Tamil. It would be interesting to see whether such usages are seen in grantha manuscripts, and also to investigate how widespread and consistent they are in various South Indian languages. George